* Aug 2019: Catching up on Islandora 8: As of Spring 2019, the FLVC Islandora sites are run in Islandora 7 software. The next coming version of software is Islandora 8. Here are some resources to better understand the implications of sunsetting dates for Islandora 7.
** Islandora Foundation's Jan. 2019 video on Islandora 7 to 8 migration: https://islandora.ca/content/migrating-islandora-7x-islandora-claw
** Islandora versions support statement (gives the sunset dates for support for Islandora 7): https://islandora.ca/content/islandora-7-and-8-version-support-timeline (end of life for security updates is April 2022).
* April 2019: Pensacola State College has requested an FL-Islandora site. We welcome Pensacola State College to the FL-Islandora family!
* March 2019: The batch RightsStatements.org inserts are complete for all institutions who submitted spreadsheets. At close of the project, RightsStatements.org values have been inserted into 35,477 items on the Islandora sites. Adding the statement manually takes 8 clicks per object, that's 283,816 clicks saved for the librarians and work study students around the state! This represents 62% of the public items across the Islandora sites and more than 80% of PALMM Islandora materials, not coming through FSU. (FSU will add these in house.) Several institutions who did not participate expressed time constraints and future plans to add these. Going forward, FALSC is able to offer updated reports and to do batch inserts, including for a subset of items on your site.
* Feb. 2019: Polk State College has requested an FL-Islandora site. We welcome Polk State to the FL-Islandora family!
* Nov. 2018: FLVC has finalized code for a new module called Islandora Scholar Embargo. This allows embargos to be set on objects which will expire at a specific date in the future. This functionality is available to any institutions requesting to be set up.
* Oct. 2018: Florida State College at Jacksonville (FSCJ) is now contributing Islandora metadata to Mango. FSJC Mango records are discoverable both through the union Mango catalog, http://union.discover.flvc.org, or through FSCJ's Mango catalog: https://union.discover.flvc.org/fj.jsp?
* Oct. 2018: Workshops were held online regarding "Step-by-step instructions on getting Islandora metadata into Open Refine". A recording of the Oct. 2 workshop is available at http://recordings.flvc.org/NP/Wilhelmina/miscellaneous/2018_10_02_OAIPMHworkshop.mp4 and a recording of the Oct. 9 workshop is available at http://recordings.flvc.org/NP/Wilhelmina/miscellaneous/2018_10_09_OAIPMHworkshop.mp4 . A handout is available at https://falsc.libguides.com/ld.php?content_id=46203664 .
* Sept. 2018: Florida Atlantic University (FAU) has formally launched an institutional repository in Islandora. The repository can be accessed by following the link to "Research Repository" on FAU's Islandora homepage at https://fau.digital.flvc.org/ .
* Sept. 2018: Florida State College at Jacksonville's (FSCJ's) Islandora site is formally launched. The site contains student publications, including newspapers and journals, and video recordings of interviews with local authors from the Jacksonville area. FSCJ's site may be viewed at https://fscj.digital.flvc.org .
* July 2018: Hillsborough Community College's (HCC's) Islandora site is formally launched. The site contains many materials about the town of Ruskin, and plans to add materials about other Tampa-area history materials. HCC's site may be viewed at https://hccfl.digital.flvc.org .
* July 2018: Forms on the Islandora test sites are set up to handle RightsStatements.org values. These new form fields are labeled "Access Condition: RightsStatements.org" in the text of the form when you look at it, and store in the MODS as <accessCondition type="use and reproduction" displayLabel="RightsStatements.org"> . Sites are encouraged to test out these forms (add some rights statements, edit some rights statements, look at Solr fields, and report and bugs or any interface changes that would use the new fields).
Recording of this meeting: Play recording
Agenda for July 23, 2019 meeting:
The DISC Digital Collection Interface Working Group reported that the Mango Publication Year limit doesn’t work for Islandora records. Here’s an example of the MARCXML of one of these records:
Per our Mango experts:
The publication year facet is populated from the pubdate_text field which comes from the 008/07-10 field.
So we’re probably going to have to map one of the MODS dates into 008/07-10.
Recording of this meeting: Play recording
ISG Meeting June 25, 2019
We’re still in the process of testing the new release on the test server, but an issue has come up in conjunction with a migration of UCF’s Central Florida Memory collection into FL-Islandora, and we’ll need user feedback on proposed changes.
The issue has to do with the “Owner Institution” label in the Full Description tabs of every record:
I’ll give a brief demo of this proposed change at the ISG meeting, and we’ll be very interested in discussion and feedback.
Recording of this meeting: Play recording
Recording of this meeting: https://uwf.webex.com/recordingservice/sites/uwf/recording/playback/8298B5A94F1445BDE053CF07FC0AC31A
* Adding rights statements to FL-Islandora recrods - Wilhelmina
* Updates on the FL-Islandora performance improvement project - Lydia
* Adding a GDPR link from FL-Islandora, see https://www.floridashines.org/privacy
Recording of this meeting: https://uwf.webex.com/recordingservice/sites/uwf/recording/playback/64522b635c8848d991709dab1a14aa9e
* Updating copyright statements
* Call for participation in new DISC subgroup for reviewing digital collections in Mango
* Islandora sites are now more responsive. A demo of the changes and discussion.
* MODS forms: <titleInfo><title> field with no attribute on <titleInfo>
* Islandora Scholar Embargo now available to Florida Islandora sites. This module allows embargos to be set on objects with a specific expiration date. Are institutions interested?
Meeting link (tentative): http://recordings.flvc.org/NP/Wilhelmina/ISGmeetings/2018_08_28_ISGmtg.mp4 (tentative)
* Update on the change in video recording technology:
** FLVC will discontinue Collaborate Ultra around August 23rd.
** The old ISG meeting recordings moved to an FLVC server, and the links have all been updated on the ISG and DISC wikis, so the recordings are safe. Collaborate Ultra was used from January 2016 to present. Older videos are still stored with UCF. Very soon, possibly for the next meeting, the meeting link will change.
** FLVC has not yet selected software for online meetings, so an updated link and instructions are not available at this time.
* New metadata services: Custom forms and metadata templates.
** Over the past two years, librarians at FLVC have worked with forms and we are now able to provide two new services.
** A metadata template is a set of values that prepopulate a form. (Demo of FSCJ's template.)
** FLVC is willing to set up custom forms with fewer fields than the MODS Simple Entry form. For example, a form might interact only with the DOIs on objects, or only with author names. These are intended to be used for a limited time for metadata cleanup projects.
* RightsStatements.org implementation on the FLVC Islandora sites:
** Forms update:
*** Forms are up on all the Islandora test sites which include RightsStatement.org and Creative Commons for the accessCondition field in MODS. Please try them out and report any problems.
** Formatting RightsStatements.org values:
*** The way FLVC will format this is like so:
<accessCondition type="use and reproduction" displayLabel="RightsStatements.org">http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/InC/1.0/</accessCondition>
*** Solr fields and the MODS forms will work with that specific way of formatting the RightsStatements.org value.
*** The Excel to MODS Transformer will not format any column of input like this. If you are using the Excel to MODS Transformer to prep metadata, put the URI in as accessCondition in the Excel column, then use the Excel to MODS Transformer to do the transformation, then email the .zip file of MODS records to email@example.com and request the Digital Services and OER department to correctly format the RightsStatements.org values. (Also put "Islandora" in the subject line.) Someone from Digital Services and OER should be able to email you back a .zip file of MODS with the RightsStatements.org values formatted like FLVC has standardized.
** This is an informational announcement only. FLVC anticipates that the Sunshine State Digital Network will release metadata guidelines in the near future, and after those are released, the Digital Services and OER department will address metadata reports and remediation.
* FLVC's Quarterly Maintenance Schedule:
** This year, FLVC will allocate IT resources on a quarterly maintenance schedule. Each quarter of the year, one software platform will get developer support.
** Islandora is scheduled to get developer support in Quarter 3, January to March 2019.
** Two goals for that time period:
*** 1) A routine software upgrade.
*** 2) Make a prioritized list of all open development needs and bug fixes with more time commitment, and work through that list. The idea is that the most important items would be completed, and items towards the end of the list would not.