* Oct. 2018: Workshops were held online regarding "Step-by-step instructions on getting Islandora metadata into Open Refine". A recording of the Oct. 2 workshop is available at https://us.bbcollab.com/collab/ui/session/playback/load/de9c5cda9e3f40e0a00bab0e1d9f88c1 and a recording of the Oct. 9 workshop is available at https://us.bbcollab.com/collab/ui/session/playback/load/0d0c09c075664bc7915dd0a5906ffbdc .
* Sept. 2018: Florida Atlantic University (FAU) has formally launched an institutional repository in Islandora. The repository can be accessed by following the link to "Research Repository" on FAU's Islandora homepage at https://fau.digital.flvc.org/ .
* Sept. 2018: Florida State College at Jacksonville's (FSCJ's) Islandora site is formally launched. The site contains student publications, including newspapers and journals, and video recordings of interviews with local authors from the Jacksonville area. FSCJ's site may be viewed at https://fscj.digital.flvc.org .
* July 2018: Hillsborough Community College's (HCC's) Islandora site is formally launched. The site contains many materials about the town of Ruskin, and plans to add materials about other Tampa-area history materials. HCC's site may be viewed at https://hccfl.digital.flvc.org .
* July 2018: Forms on the Islandora test sites are set up to handle RightsStatements.org values. These new form fields are labeled "Access Condition: RightsStatements.org" in the text of the form when you look at it, and store in the MODS as <accessCondition type="use and reproduction" displayLabel="RightsStatements.org"> . Sites are encouraged to test out these forms (add some rights statements, edit some rights statements, look at Solr fields, and report and bugs or any interface changes that would use the new fields).
Meeting link (tentative): https://us.bbcollab.com/collab/ui/session/guest/2C0E4791545E09F8C61CACEBEBD8F0BB (tentative)
* Update on the change in video recording technology:
** FLVC will discontinue Collaborate Ultra around August 23rd.
** The old ISG meeting recordings moved to an FLVC server, and the links have all been updated on the ISG and DISC wikis, so the recordings are safe. Collaborate Ultra was used from January 2016 to present. Older videos are still stored with UCF. Very soon, possibly for the next meeting, the meeting link will change.
** FLVC has not yet selected software for online meetings, so an updated link and instructions are not available at this time.
* New metadata services: Custom forms and metadata templates.
** Over the past two years, librarians at FLVC have worked with forms and we are now able to provide two new services.
** A metadata template is a set of values that prepopulate a form. (Demo of FSCJ's template.)
** FLVC is willing to set up custom forms with fewer fields than the MODS Simple Entry form. For example, a form might interact only with the DOIs on objects, or only with author names. These are intended to be used for a limited time for metadata cleanup projects.
* RightsStatements.org implementation on the FLVC Islandora sites:
** Forms update:
*** Forms are up on all the Islandora test sites which include RightsStatement.org and Creative Commons for the accessCondition field in MODS. Please try them out and report any problems.
** Formatting RightsStatements.org values:
*** The way FLVC will format this is like so:
<accessCondition type="use and reproduction" displayLabel="RightsStatements.org">http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/InC/1.0/</accessCondition>
*** Solr fields and the MODS forms will work with that specific way of formatting the RightsStatements.org value.
*** The Excel to MODS Transformer will not format any column of input like this. If you are using the Excel to MODS Transformer to prep metadata, put the URI in as accessCondition in the Excel column, then use the Excel to MODS Transformer to do the transformation, then email the .zip file of MODS records to email@example.com and request the Digital Services and OER department to correctly format the RightsStatements.org values. (Also put "Islandora" in the subject line.) Someone from Digital Services and OER should be able to email you back a .zip file of MODS with the RightsStatements.org values formatted like FLVC has standardized.
** This is an informational announcement only. FLVC anticipates that the Sunshine State Digital Network will release metadata guidelines in the near future, and after those are released, the Digital Services and OER department will address metadata reports and remediation.
* FLVC's Quarterly Maintenance Schedule:
** This year, FLVC will allocate IT resources on a quarterly maintenance schedule. Each quarter of the year, one software platform will get developer support.
** Islandora is scheduled to get developer support in Quarter 3, January to March 2019.
** Two goals for that time period:
*** 1) A routine software upgrade.
*** 2) Make a prioritized list of all open development needs and bug fixes with more time commitment, and work through that list. The idea is that the most important items would be completed, and items towards the end of the list would not.